CORRECTIONAL DIETARY OFFICER TRAINEE Cooking
- Salary Offer $42,185.00 - $63,154.00/year
- Experience Level Entry Level
- Total Years Experience 0-5
A Correctional Dietary Officer Trainee Cooking is the entry level of work involving the custody, security and supervision of adult inmates in food preparation and serving of meals at correctional institutions. Employees in this classification do not supervise other positions. Employees in this classification receive close supervision from a Correctional Dietary Supervisor or Correctional Dietary Services Supervisor. Employees are assigned to day, evening, night or rotating shifts. Employees are subject to call-in during emergencies and staffing shortages.
- Learns how to maintain control and discipline of inmates working in kitchen and dining room areas
- Learns how to keep continual count of assigned inmates.
- Learns how to search inmates in order to prevent concealment of equipment, cutlery, food and other unauthorized items.
- Learns how to enforce rules of conduct among inmates and when to prepare reports of infractions.
- Learns how to subdue and restrain inmates during fights, riots and escape attempts.
- Maintains sanitary kitchen conditions including supervision of the washing of pots, pans, dishes, counters and the cleaning of meat grinders and slicers and dining and kitchen areas.
- Learns Division of Correction regulations, institutional directives and post orders.
- Learns to ensure that inmate workers adhere to Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point Regulations in food sanitation and food safety in an institutional setting.
- Learns to train and supervise assigned inmates preparing vegetables, meats, salads, beverages and other foods.
- Learns to operate kitchen equipment and appliances such as mixers, cookers, ovens, stoves, toasters and coffee urns.
- Learns to measure and mix ingredients according to recipes.
- May perform work in any one of the specialized options during staffing shortages and emergencies.